Thursday, January 24, 2013

Awkward Mom vs. Cake

Awkward Mom always wins her battles with cake. He is a lesser-tier villain. Kinda like Stilt-Man.

My birthday is coming. My 35th birthday. This means many things. 35 is officially adult; at least it always was when I was younger than almost 35. Part of me wants to redefine "officially adult" as 40, but part of me wants to embrace this. My mother told me once that when she looks in the mirror she is often surprised because she expects to see herself in her 30s. I asked her why 30s, and not 20s or 40s or age 9. She said it was in her 30s that she was busy raising us and that is how she sees herself. She was full. She was happy. Not that she isn't happy, busy, or full now (seriously, I can never find the woman), but there is something special about a house full of kids. Of course, that something special is also a little like this, but mostly nice. My 30s have been my favorite age so far, and I have high hopes for year 35.

But my impending birthday also means that cake is coming. And you have not had cake until you have had awkward cake. At my baptism, there were no less than 3 cakes. No one has a very good reason for this; there may have been miscommunication or overgenerousity or a sale at the holy bakery. No one really knows. However, know this; all 3 cakes were consumed. Our ancestral line arches back into antiquity; long, awkward, and completely gluttonous.

Here is my 5th birthday cake; a little crooked, a ton delicious, and sporting a strange elephant candle. Plus, I am rocking that crown and the kitchen was rocking its 80s curtains. Perfection. 


This is my brother's 3rd birthday.
Not a fork in sight and exactly what flavor is green? 


I began my 6th year with sweet pink frosting and a complete disregard for self-control.


Year 10 was when my father lost his mind. 


Let's fast-forward a tad; surely I will have learned some artistry or manners by age 25. Nope. Here is my 25th birthday cake, lovingly made by my friends. It was then dismantled by me and the same friends; don't let that fork in the frame fool you. We ate it like a pack of wolves; hunched over, with our hands, slightly growling. Husbands and boyfriends clinging to the outer walls of the room in terror. I have a picture of it, but, as I love my friends and love remaining alive, I have declined to show it. Picture it. I dare you. 


Here is me at age 26, convinced that Super Cat needs some of my awesome Tasmanian devil cake. 


Oh holy cats, we have kids now! More excuses for cake!


The Elmo cake was a big hit. And then we decide to serve Super P. the eye because, really, the best gift for any child is future material for therapy sessions.


Timing is everything with birthday cakes.


No, I take it back. Theme is everything with birthday cakes.


Age 1 (Super Baby) is the year Awkward Dad lost his mind.
That is a Whole Foods German Chocolate cake with organic chocolate shavings.
She got no other gifts as a result.

Do NOT invite the Transformers to your birthday party until you own a steam cleaner.

I am looking forward to my birthday and the new beginnings that it brings. I am looking forward to another year of parenthood and the adventures ahead. I am looking forward to being full, busy, and happy in my mid-to-late 30s. But make no mistake, I am most looking forward to the cake. 

Hey, did you spot the 1-21 birthday candle where's-waldoing it in Awkward Mom's childhood photos? Do you know that they still make these? We are not entirely sure how we feel about the symbols that accompany each age. There is a stork for age 1, but we assume that is actually for 0 because what 1-year-old wants a baby for their first birthday? The teddy bear for 3 is fine, as is the tricycle for 6. The book shows up around age 9, OK, cool. Then there is a bike for age 12, yes, we can do that. It is the 2 entwined hearts that pop up around age 15 that gives one pause. The graduation cap for 18 is refreshing, and then there are a pair of rings for 21. A pair of rings, eh? Well, 2 purity rings seems a bit excessive, we were just gonna get the kids one each but I suppose 2 would really drive the point home. We are gonna have to ponder this, 1-21 birthday candle. We'll get back to you. 

The best thing about cake is eating it as messily as possible. 
Trust us on this, we are professional messers. 

14 comments:

  1. all 35 means you can now officially run for US President. And considering some of the men who made a run for the job, your awkwardness may be an asset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about that! Awesome point....I should start planning my campaign now!

      Delete
  2. Yes - the tradition of birthday cakes - which are never quite perfect - always a bit awkward. LOL And I did like the 30s - maybe because of all the messiness and chaos and yes happiness. Every decade has its charms - some are just more photogenic and simply joyous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awkward cake is the best cake!

      How come your 30s are photogenic and joyous, and mine are simply joyous? :)

      Delete
    2. Yours are photogenic. Keep in mind that what I mean by photogenic is that which makes me laugh and remember things fondly.

      Delete
    3. All pictures of me make me laugh though. :) Thanks Mom, you are being too sweet and I am being all kinds of sass, per usual....

      Delete
  3. Oh YUMMMM, cake!!! This post made me want some SOOO BAD!! I bet I could bake myself a cake and pass it off as pregnancy cravings, and no one would think less of me. But then, I'd have to get up off the couch. Ugh.

    I don't think Awkward Grandpa has lost his mind - a serrated knife is totally the way to go for angel food cake. And why not an electric one? That poor thing probably only sees action around Thanksgiving, why not give it a little exercise? LOL

    Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a tough decision; cake or stay on the couch. I don't suppose a certain husband of yours wants to bring you cake? That would solve that.

      You are right; the knife was right, but the style was all him. Waste not, want not; that's him. :)

      Delete
  4. lol!! Love the eyeball cake bit... nice. rotfl!! I remember my most favourite cake ever was one of those "Barbie" in the middle of a cake, cakes. Totally rocked. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not sure it was one of my proudest Mom moments, but it sure was funny. I am sure I will be making one of those barbie cakes one day. And by "making", I totally mean buying. But as to picking a favorite cake, I don't know, that is kinda like asking me to pick my favorite child. :) I love 'em all!

      Delete
  5. You just made me really laugh. Year 10 was the best, I remember my dad with a similar knife. Happy birthday and enjoy your awkward cake. By the way, when I picture myself I see myself at 23 (the year I met my husband). Long Rachel Green hair and having the time of my life but not really knowing who I was . Hmmm... In my 40's I now almost know who I am and what I want. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bette, nice to "meet" you! Thanks for the read! What is it with Dads and knifes that require power?

      I think 23 is a fine age to picture, esp. if it was when you met your man. Not sure I know myself yet either; somedays I think I am close. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. What a trip down a memory lane, so sweet (no pun intended :) Can't wait to see your 35th Birthday cake :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to eat my 35th birthday cake! :)

      Delete